[plug] file transfer performance linux/windows and filezilla

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 12 06:23:00 WST 2004

How embarrassing.

I will do the math before posting.
I will do the math be....

Sincere thanks to Craig and Cameron for their patience and for pointing
out the maths made *sense* in my network concept.   Indeed a 650-ish MByte
file in 60 seconds *is* very reasonable for a 100 Mbit network.

Sigh.

Further thanks for Cameron's "tcpspray" tip - I will follow up on that.
The Windows machines I tested are certainly from an earlier vintage than
the Linux machines so we're talking 400+ MHz pentiums.

<slightly off-thread>
I see that OpenSSH is now at release 3.8p1 (portability branch) so the
Debian 3.4p1-1.woody would seem to be a bit elderly.   However this might
not be true, given that Debian and other distros seem to offer patches for
existing releases.  Thus 3.4p1-1.woody might be much closer to 3.8p1 than
the figures would suggest.   How do the from-source distibutions such as
gentoo and crux deal with this?   Patching or outright fresh versions?
</slightly o-t>

Cheers,
Denis