[plug] power saving features? sleep etc.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu May 13 16:08:30 WST 2004

Sham Chukoury wrote:

| As for the monitor, you can configure X to suspend the monitor after
| a while:

Can be configured in the KDE control centre, no need for stuffing
around with XF86Config.

| APM and ACPI can put the system on standby. However doing a
| Hibernation-type thing, where the contents of memory are written to
| disk and the system powered off, then having the memory restored
| when powered on again, is still quite dodgy. Last time i tried the
| feature (swsusp?), it managed to suspend properly, but failed to
| resume. That was back on kernel 2.6.0 or 2.6.1.. I might try it
| again some time, with 2.6.6. :P

You want swsusp2 rather than straight swsusp :-)

	http://swsusp.sf.net/

It is generally more reliable in 2.4 than in 2.6.  Works with SMP and
Highmem and preemptible kernels and other nifty stuff.  I have it
working on my desktop and it's fine - BUT you have to be careful to
unload some modules before suspending and reload them afterwards.  USB
and PCMCIA are likely suspects here.

I've had no luck with ACPI, either on desktops (though what's the
point, really?) or on laptops.  Apparently APM works like a charm if
your machine supports it though...

Cameron.