[plug] Journalling FS Benchmarks

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu May 13 20:47:57 WST 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 05:35:07PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> I found this benchmark/comparison of the different Journalling FS interesting:
>   http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html

Another independent realworld test, with scripts so you could repeat
it yourself - http://vizzzion.org/?id=reiser4-2

> It seems JFS, XFS, & Reiser are all fairly similar, and better than Ext3.
> Anyone have any personal recommendations? What about other features, like
> stability, recoverability, undeleting deleted files, etc?

In my experience, ext2/3 still seem to be rock solid in terms of
stability, resiliance, and ability to recover from corruption. I've
heard many horror stories of Reiser filesystems vanishing, and seen
XFS filesystems zero out files. The XFS kernel code I've also seen
panic machines (I don't believe a corrupt filesystem should panic a
machine).

I've also observed odd things happen with JFS's kernel threads once
or twice in several months, but otherwise if found it to be quite a
stable filesystem (no quota or ACL support though).

My 2c,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>