[plug] Dead hdd

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri May 14 09:50:31 WST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:34:54 +0800 Garry <garbuck at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> N K wrote:
> | Howdy all,
> |
> | does anyone no how to recover from a dead hdd, where the motor does
> not spin up...need some of the data back...

> If not power: I suspect you need an identical drive, and swap the the
> motor/electrnics over. Doing this yourself is a drama as you will break
> the seal and introduce dust etc...
[...]

Not so in most cases. The board bolts on the underside of the sealed
disk assembly and flexible circuit cables hang out through seals and the
cable tails then plug into the board. So it is possble to swap a board
without too much drama.

As Garry and Paul have said, you need the exact same board.

Tell us much as you can about the drive. Make, capacity, model number,
sectors/heads/cylinders (if it has them). Board swapping to recover data
has been done before and you did say just recovery so the board can go
back on the donor drive when the job is done.

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/