[plug] Journalling FS Benchmarks

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri May 14 16:42:34 WST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 22:16, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Re. undeleting files:  I don't think that any fs supported by Linux
> (other than FAT or ext2) has an 'undelete' mechanism.

Another one of those "and why not?" rants. Not that I know squat about the
intricacies of a file system, but I just feel that it would be possible to
integrate undelete nicely at the FS level, if one (who was a FS Guru) tried.

I'd do it myself, but people seem to start twitching when I talk of writing
custom FSs in Perl. ^_^

> | In my experience, ext2/3 still seem to be rock solid in terms of
> | stability, resiliance, and ability to recover from corruption.
>
> ext3 makes stronger guarantees about the consistency of data written
> to disc than the other journaling FSes - not only does it ensure that
> file metadata is correct, but also ensures that in the event of a
> crash, a partially-written file will never data that actually belongs
> to some other file.  (And it does this without replacing the whole
> bleeding file with 0's when remounting, like XFS does.)
>
> | I've heard many horror stories of Reiser filesystems vanishing,

This is the sort of feedback I was after. Thanks. I do value my data
integrity. Was just wondering if anyone following the others closely knew if
they'd hit any magic Grail of Integrity to make Ext3 look laughable in that
respect as well.

Especially with my remaining working home PC, which has a dodgy PSU, and an
ATI card whose Linux driver doesn't like shutting X down nicely, I'll stick
with ext3 a bit longer... ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |