[plug] SATA chipset support question

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri May 14 21:40:20 WST 2004

Hi all,

Thanks for the help. I decided to try out Mandrake 10 Community edition
as a Windows user asked me to setup Linux for them and I thought that
Mandrake may be better for them to cut their teeth on.

It's just installing now. The installer detected the Promise SATA
controller and drive (as well as USB mouse) fine and is not just setting
up the partitions.

I'll let you know how it goes. I have this user wanting to move as well
as another that wants to dual boot and another customer that is still on
Windows98 that is interested in Linux but I need to get him a new hard
drive first.

I'll be interested to find out how I see Mandrake from the perspective
of a Debian user.

thanks,

Chris Caston

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 20:56, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Harry wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:58:41 +0400 Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> wrote:
> >

> >>Since I note you are a debian user try this.
> >>
> >>http://xtronics.com/reference/SATA-RAID-Debian.htm
> >

> > The text snapshots show the md2 never gets in sync. Is that
> > true or have I missed something ?
>
> Nope, probably not.. Check out the last line and note there is only one device listed in the array.
> I guess it's hard to get it to sync if the other device is not present (or has not been added to the
> array anyway)
>
> > md2 : active raid1 ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part3[1]
> > 116045440 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> I personally did not really read the article, just picked it up along the way.
>
> Here are my 2 /proc/mdstat's from different servers. I only ever run Debian or completely built from
> scratch (not LFS but just bootstrapped by hand). All my machines now are Debian, but I use
> self-built kernels always.
>
> gateway:~# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> md0 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hda1[0]
>        2104384 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md1 : active raid1 hdc2[1] hda2[0]
>        530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md2 : active raid1 hdc3[1] hda3[0]
>        2104448 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md3 : active raid1 hdc4[1] hda4[0]
>        112478976 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>

> brad at srv:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid0] [raid5] [raid6]
> md0 : active raid5 sdj1[9] sdi1[8] sdh1[7] sdg1[6] sdf1[5] sde1[4] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>        2206003968 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 0 [10/10] [UUUUUUUUUU]
>
> I have not practically figured out how to easily stuff more than 10 drives into a box in a reliable,
> well cooled raid array.
>
> Brad
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.