[plug] Book of "facts" re Linux

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sat May 15 10:26:42 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 21:40, Michael Collard wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 18:32, Brock Woolf wrote:
>
> > I mean look not to bag Windows or anything cause it's not that bad, i
> > just prefer faster efficient and free software. Presonal preference. If
> > you like paying big dollars for Windows and all the programs that come
> > with it and want a few viruses and trojans and love to pay to update
> > your virus scanner per year, like hey! who the fuck am i to argue with
> > that, go ahead... Bill Gates has done a tremendous thing to bring
> > personal computing to the globe and standardize it, and thats a good
> > thing, however a little healthy competition is always good for business,
> > it forces the competition to offer a better product, rather than sit
> > back and become complacent. And to be quite honest, I don't thing Bill
> > Gates would be trying (at least he is) to make his product better if
> > Linux/Solaris/FreeBSD/Apple were around. DO YOU?
>
> I hate to tell ya but Windows doesn't even implement true multitasking,
> something that even a 20 year old OS did (AmigaOS). Windows has not
> improved at all in any way that matters. Still built on the same
> spaghetti code that would be better suited printed on dunny paper.
>
> And while Microsoft teeters those people that have no independent
> thought, I cannot seriously see how IT in general will improve by any
> great margin. Microsoft is destroying IT.
>
> Still I think my quote from a week ago is spot on. Windows is a joke at
> best :)
>
> Kind Regards
> Michael Collard

Yeah Michael,

I totally agree with you, I am not on Microsoft's side at all, I was
just pointing out the good effect of competition. But Microsoft's
problem is that they can not rewrite the code "from the ground up"

OK, every new version of Windows apart from 2000 which is "built on NT
technology" was written from the ground up, or so Microsoft still say.
The thing is analysts say for Microsoft to throw away their garbage and
rewrite from the ground would take something like 10-20 years and this
is something Microsoft just do not want to do.

IT's funny cause Windows is called Windows, but it should be called DOS.
Remember people Microsoft are very good at Marketing. I mean we don't
run around with our "XFree86" Boxes and talk about what version of Xfree
do you have, why? cause Xfree is the desktop, just as "Windows" is. So
Microsoft should still be calling their software DOS, cause thats what
it is. With a shiny Windows wrapper to cover all the rusty, glitchy ends
of an archaic 20 year old DOS with 10,million patches.

The reason why I think Linux is faster than Windows is because there is
no bloatware.
And the reason it is more reliable is because when there is a patch or
drivers, whatever. You rebuild the entire kernel.
When there is a Windows Update, you "Patch" your system, so therefore
the internals bugs still remain, it's just like Windows are using a
plugin to their "kernel" as you would for Konqueror or Mozilla,
So whenever the Windows Kernel goes to do something, it is like Windows
Update stick a De-Tour sign on the road so you go around, and therefore
why your machine goes to buggery when you Patch it. Not such a good
thing.