[plug] Zaurus programming

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon May 17 16:19:11 WST 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 12:41, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
> Recently a few Zaurus 5500's were sold out among PLUGgers.  I'm trying
> to get started with programming these (eg Qtopia or PyQt) and would
> appreciate assistance.

What sort of assistance? If you're just after pointers, then I recommend PyQt.
I'm a Perl person, yet found it relatively easy to whip up GUI apps in Python
using PyQt. I used the QT Designer to do most of the interface work, then the
Python back-end code.

Coming from a Web programming background, a lot of my apps deal with data
stored in a DB. I found sqlite did a great job for small PyQT apps (and also
came with Z versions).

I personally haven't used the Sharp ROM (either the old or new) in ages. I've
been using OpenZaurus 3.3.6-pre1 since soon after it's release. It's not
wonderfully stable or bug-free, but it's quite feature-rich, and fast.

If you need more specific help, let me know. I actually haven't done much
coding for my Z in months, so I may be a bit behind the times on library
versions & the latest compatability issues tho. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |