[plug] [OT] Found new Windows virus

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue May 18 08:09:40 WST 2004

Chris,
If possible download a copy of Sophos Anti-Virus and run it.  If the PC is a Windows NT/2K or XP then download the sav32cli and the latest ides.zip.  Copy protect the ides on a floppy and run the the following:
 SAV32CLI -IDEDIR=A:\ -REMOVE -P=C:\LOGFILE.TXT

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> caston at arach.net.au 12:01:16 pm 17/05/2004 >>>
Hello,

I found a new virus on a customers machine that could not be detected
with Norton or AVG. I also e-mailed it to myself and Arachnet mail
filter didn't pick it up.

Where do I report such things?

The virus posed as Windowsupdate.exe and killed taskmgr.exe and refused
to let msconfig start. Unless of course you renamed them.

thanks,

Chris Caston

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au