[plug] Linux installs cannot mount cd-rom

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 18 09:45:27 WST 2004

At 11:18 14/05/2004 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
>Dear PLUG list members,
>
>I'm attempting to install either Debian, FreeBSD or Gentoo Linux onto an
>IBM Intellistation M-Pro.   The common problem is that the CD-ROM is
>unmountable.

<snip>

At the risk of answering my own post, I seem to have had a win!

I scoured the Gentoo site, broadening my search from just Intellistations
to general installation problems that contained the magic phrase "fix your
sh*t" and Bingo!   A couple of people mentioned, in conjunction with the
2004.0 version, that booting with ide=nodma could be a solution.   And so
it seems to be.   A hunt through the FreeBSD lists looking for similar
"nodma" parameters also turns up a couple of hits.   It is likely that it
would prove the saviour for the Debian Sarge installation, too.   (Have
located and downloaded the 2004.1 version of the universal x86 installer so
will burn a CD and try that, too.)

So... if you have problems with unrecognised hardware (CD-ROM particularly)
at boot time, consider ide=nodma" or similar parameters before losing too
much sleep :-)

Now, for me, is the decision on which distro to employ....   I need a later
toolchain than in Debian Woody (or maybe even Sarge?), security
notifications so i don't have to do it myself, straight forward package
installation / update

Debian Sarge (aka testing) would be my normal choice except for
a) a stated "there is no security (followup)" for Sarge and
b) the toolchain still appears to be somewhat elderly for the applications
I need to compile.
Debian Woody has my respect for its stability but I am being
application-driven here and Backports is a bit messier than I'd like - need
to keep remembering to add lines to sources.list for example.

FreeBSD could be good except that it uses a quite unfamiliar disk "slicing"
nomenclature which is going to take me well outside my comfort zone.   The
up-side of FreeBSD's disk slicing is that it is closer to Solaris (as I
understand it) and one of the prime pieces of software we use is SPSS,
which has a client running on Solaris. [*]

Gentoo is a possibility that appeals because it has a pretty much
up-to-the-minute toolchain, a lot of application support (well, ports
anyway), a familiar disk partitioning rationale and what appears to be a
lot of effort put into security updates.   The downside seems to be that
rather than popping in a CD and having things semi-automagically partition,
load, configure, etc. that I now am faced with the task of doing this piece
by piece.

LFS (Linux From Scratch) would mean that I'd need to keep an eye on all the
tools, etc, I used in the system and do all my own security
monitoring.   From a production standpoint that is an insupportable
objective where there are close to 100 mixed (but mainly Windows) clients
to serve on a daily basis.

What of RH, Mandrake, SuSE, Turbo, etc, etc?   I really want to keep away
from distros that have a commercial flavour about them.   The notion of
Open Source and the free flow of information has appeal to me;  the
subscription idea wrankles a bit.   I certainly would be willing - and I
will! - make donations but I'd like to think that's "me-driven" rather than
"them-driven" if you see what I mean.

Flames and distro-wars to me off list, please, to save bandwidth :-)

Cheers,
Denis

*    If anyone has successfully used SPSS (version 11.5 or higher for
Windows) or their Solaris version, under Linux, I would be very happy to
hear from you.   I'll be looking at VMWare, Win4Lin, etc.   The Open Source
PSPP does not cut it in terms of breadth of statistical functionality nor
in terms of proven rigour.   Stats users are notoriously fussy (and rightly
so) about their stats package's ancestry :-)   They are also quite
religious about their packages, too, so just swapping them from SPSS to SAS
or Stata, for example, is a no-go.