[plug] all-in-one motherboards nforce

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed May 19 00:11:38 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 23:10, Mungo TheB wrote:
> ditto to the nforce
> last 3 boards nforce (working with everything I throw at it)
>
> last current hiccup was the onboard RAID driver
> (sure enough, found the linux drivers real quick)
> pain the DI#@H@#Ds never include LINUX drivers on the CD
> (and that applies to ALL manufactures)

Although the drivers are rarely on the cd installing drivers under Linux
is usually a much more straight forward process.

The needed modules usually come with your kernel what could be easier
than that? Certainly beatings scouring driverguide and manufacturers
websites, diving past pop-ups and EULAs.

Even the CUPS drivers for nearly all printers is a simple apt-get away
with the gimpprint package.

Next time your trying to help someone on dial-up get the drivers for
their HP printer and realise that HP wants you to download 100mb of crap
(drivers and other dopey software) then you'll see what I mean.

> >nforce chipsets are pretty good for all in one mb's
> >with the exception of sound support (no hardware mixing other than that
> >it's ok).
> >I am using a nforce2 chipset and it works pretty well :-P
> >
> >Senectus

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.