[plug] Job: Web Analyst Programmer

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 20 19:04:07 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:28, Bret Busby wrote:

> I would have thought that for most material, especially job selection
> criteria, pure HTML would be adequate. And, now even MS Word can save
> documents in HTML format

If you can call that HTML. *shudder*. Perhaps it's improved in recent
versions - I've seen mostly Word '97(?) and a bit of Word 200 HTML.

>  it may be that MS Word only
> saves documents in Internet Destroyer compatible HTML, like some .NET
> stuff.

AFAIK it's uniformly hideous and broken, rather than hideous and broken
in a particularly IE-specific way.

As for .NET, you're likely to find that's mostly the fault of web app
developers. Those that pick .NET are more likely to have an MS focus,
and well... some are obviously oblivious to non-MSIE/Win users.

> And, lynx can read HTML (I don't think it can read PDF format ;).

Not directly, anyway. Amusingly, it'll be easier to read MS word files
(via antiword, word2text etc) than PDF, despite the latter being an open
standard. It just happens to be a standard format that's a right pain to
convert into plain text.

Craig Ringer