[plug] HDD sizes

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 22 12:54:13 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 12:30, Kev wrote:

>  > One of my housemates used to maintain an astonishing collection of old
>  > disks; I agreed to loan him the money to buy a 120G on the condition
>  > that he retire all his old disks. The lounge room is now a much nicer
>  > place, and the PC in question is also running more stably.
>
> Why??  Well the whole thing was about putting together a CHEAP system,
> so that meant using what I had, not what I couldn't afford.  The list of
> "what I couldn't afford" grew quite long, having 5 teenage kidz, as I
> do!  As it is, 40 + 30 + 8 + 6 + 6 = 90Gig.  Isn't that OK?

Well, I wasn't trying to tell you you were "wrong", or anything - I just
don't see the point myself. After all, 30GB + 40GB is still 70GB, and
three less hard disks ;-)

I guess it comes down to your priorities. For me, losing 20GB is
irrelevant compared to the improvements in reliability and noise; the
same may well not be true for you.

Craig Ringer