[plug] Mandrake community or Mandrake 10 ?

Rennie renene at barekoala.net
Sat May 22 19:35:09 WST 2004

I'm currently using Mandrake "Cooker". I *think* it is the bleeding edge
developer version somewhat similar to Debian unstable. I can't remember how
exactly I stumbled upon it but it seem to be what I was after for home use -
all the latest bells and whistles, not the greatest stability.

That's it... I remember now; I was using SuSE 8.* and was having trouble
finding KDE 3.2 rpm's for it (the day after it was released...I must have it,
must have it... ), and not willing to go back to RedHat, I found Mandrake
"Cooker" did have these rpms available.

I've been very happy with it since. It satisfies my desire for bi-weekly
update of just about everything, including kernels, and combined with the PLF
rpms all video formats I throw at it, and Xine, just work...except the very
latest MS format (WM??9??). Sorry no idea about the OGG stuff, but I'd guess
it works.

As we speak I'm updating from mirror.pacific.net.au. I'm on a good 56K
connection so usually just leave it downloading overnight.

To add this particular repository to you Mandrake Machine's urpm source list
use the following command (all one line).

urpmi.addmedia PacificCooker
http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
with ../base/synthesis.hdlist.cz

Then do "urpmi --auto-select".....if you're game. That one upgrades all
packages that are available.

Note the "PacificCooker" bit is just a name for the source, you can change
that to what ever makes sense to you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Rennie

P.S. My machine seems to think it is "Mandrake version 10.1" ???  :-/