[plug] Debian on DVD

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun May 23 12:34:13 WST 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Arie Hol wrote:

> For any one who is interested :
>
> The latest edition of APC Magazine has a DVD on the front cover which contains all 7 CD's for
> Debian - I think it is version 3 - might save some people a large download.
>
> The DVD is bootable according the article in the mag (if you have a bootable DVD drive).
>
> HTH

The version of Debian on the DVD, is 3.0r2, which I understand, from the
Debian web site, is the stable version, or, woody.

So many applications are no longer available from their creators, for
that version (eg, GRAMPS, possibly GnuCash, etc), that the testing
version of Debian, or sarge, would be better. Upgrading an application
such as GRAMPS, from the version of the time of Debian stable, to the
latest version, would require (from my understanding) a distribution
upgrade, so a person would, if installing Debian from the DVD, need to
then do a distribution upgrade, to run the latest software versions.

Thus, my understanding, is the only appropriate use for the Debian that
is on the DVD, is for intalling on a server, due to the stability and
the security upgrades.

Also, the installer for Debian 3.0r2, from my understanding (and
experience), is one of the reasons that Debian is regarded as not for
the faint-hearted, and is only for Linux guru's. The Debian testing
version, installer, beta version, is supposed to be much more useable.

All of this, to me, appears to make having the testing version of
Debian, more useful on the DVD, for all but Debian guru's.

Of course, I am not Debian expert (and have thus far, not been able to
get Debian to instal and work), so, I may be corrected on my
understanding of the usefulness of the DVD.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."