[plug] woot :-)

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Tue May 25 22:31:11 WST 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Senectus - wrote:
> Finally got shorewall up and happy :-D
>
> Now don't get me wrong.. I'm not asking for people to hack me (please don't
> it took me SO long to get it up) but can some plugger have a look and see if
> it looks slightly secure? (www.modmeup.net)

Well I'm not sure what Westnet think of people scanning hosts on their dsl
network so I'm not going to do it (It's also quite rude).  But trying to
connect to port 80 (as your hostname seems to suggest that it will be used
as  a web server) seems to indicate that that port is being filtered.  Is
this what you intended? (Makes for a quite secure, but not that useful, webserver).

You might find that nmap is useful to you for seeing if your firewall is
doing what you thought it was, but remember do use it on the exterior
interface.

Also remember not to confuse a firewalled host/network with a secure one.
If you have services that are available publically you need to pay special
attention to them with regard to security patches and known bugs.  And
keep an eye on the logs etc.

Regards,
--
Mark O'Shea