[plug] Helpers wanted - Netbooting Installations

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Wed May 26 16:46:30 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 02:55, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm after people who have had some experience in getting their
> favourite (or least favourite :) distribution to install through
> netbooting. Debian I can do; the others are Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake
> and Gentoo. If you've done it before and willing to help do it
> again, could you please let me know.

<snip>
> I've more or less got it happening with Debian's sarge installer,
> KNOPPIX (mounting over NFS) and a memory tester!  I don't have time
> to experiment will all the other distributions though, hence my call
> for help. :)

If you've got knoppix booting your pretty much there for gentoo, It can
be installed just as easily from a knoppix boot as from the gentoo live
cd (and you get the knoppix desktop environment and its games to play
with while you wait).

To do gentoo from there just need the stage3 tarball, the GRE packages
and the portage snapshot tarball available somewhere on a network drive.
These are all available on the live cds.

--
Adam Ashley <adam_ashley at softhome.net>