[plug] telstra dns borked

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 27 11:49:56 WST 2004

Ben Jensz wrote:
> *snickers*...  Is there any major reason why you had to get ADSL with
> Bigpond?
>
> And if you actually do get through to someone at Bigpond's "help"desk,
> whats the bet they'll try and blame it on your end...

They're not alone. I had a WestNet support guy tell me that our random
dropouts and reconnect failures here were obviously on our end because
(paraphrased, as I can't remember the exact phrasing) "you're using
Linux, and we don't support that. If you just type a few things wrong
you can completely mess it up. You're also using a network, and we don't
support them." Hmm. Business DSL, on a LAN with a linux router - a weird
configuration to be sure.

Yeah, sure, I'll plug our business 'net connection into a non-networked
WinXP box for a few weeks to see if the dropouts still happen - I'm sure
the staff don't value their email that much.

*sigh*

I've always had good experiences with WN in the past, so I hope this is
just bad luck and not the first signs of big-ISP-itis.

Craig Ringer