[plug] PuTTY and Gentoo using ssh - PuTTY crashes

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 27 13:02:03 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

I've just brought up a Gentoo installation (with thanks to BillK for some
excellent off-list tips) and all seems sweet EXCEPT when I try to ssh into
the machine using PuTTY on Win NT4.   First time, PuTTY asked to confirm
the key, which I did, then it asked for a username, accepted that and then
asked for the password.   Upon entering the correct password, PuTTY's
reaction is to throw a Dr Watson error.   Turning on PuTTY logging, it does
not get to write a logfile at that point; it dies before being able to tell
all.

If I PuTTY into a Debian machine and from there connect to the Gentoo box
with ssh, all is sweet.

If I PuTTY to the Gentoo box, supply a valid username but deliberately
supply a bogus password at first, authentication fails but then returns for
a second try at the password.   If I now enter the correct password for
this user, I get in no problems.   I can repeat this sequence of events
consistently.

Huh???

Tried various protocol preferences (2, 1), various cyphers (AES, blowfish,
3DES) at the PuTTY end, to no avail.   The Gentoo ssh package is up-to-date
as of yesterday morning and from what I can see, has a reasonable config
file content.   Gentoo sets upon protocol 2 and 3DES as its
defaults.   Tried as much as would seem to make sense (and some things that
don't!) in the PuTTY setup, to no avail.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.   I have not tried any other ssh(2)
client... TeraTerm unfortunately only seems to speak protocol version 1 so
is a non-starter.   Neither have I tried any other PuTTY-hosting OS but I
doubt it's an NT4 issue, somehow.

Cheers and TIA,
Denis