[plug] New member with a few questions/problems

Jim nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri May 28 23:34:23 WST 2004

G'day

I'm Jim Householder, ex-yank and retired software engineer.  I have been
using gnu/linux on-and-off for several years but having found debian (in
the form of xandros 2) I rarely boot XP now.

I'm having problems with mozilla and thunderbird.  The default font for
their menus, lists and such (not received messages and web pages) is
microscopic and I cannot find where to change it.  Somewhere I heard
that the defaults are obtained from gnome, but I don't have it installed.

When I login, kde starts the apps I had running last session.
Unfortunately thunderbird is replaced with the mozilla browser.  I have
to terminate it and start thunderbird manually each time.

I use WestNet adsl, and would like a monitor app that gives me a running
summary of my network traffic.  Something in the panel would be nice.

I would like to install kde 3.2.  Is there a simple procedure to install
the dozens of packages that appear to be involved?

Also, if I were to install kernel 2.6, how many additional packages
would have to be updated?

I have been lurking for several weeks now, and find you a helpful and
informed mob.  I hope to be able to contribute as well.

tia
Collie Jim
--
You can't stay young forever,
   but you *can* be immature the rest of your life.