[plug] Killing process after time

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat May 29 15:42:13 WST 2004

I have a perl script that takes in some numbers does some user interaction
and then needs to run a process that is killed after a certain amount of time.
I know that there is an alarm function but I can't get that to work with a
system call and fork doesn't appear to be what I need. exec is out of the
question as I need to do a small amount of work after the command has finished.
I have looked at ulimit but that is CPU time which is not real time.
If any one knows of how to get the perl script to kill the process or
ulimit to look at real time then please tell me.
Thanks
Tim

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA