[plug] Booting ISO image files

Senectus - senectuskal at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 16:22:13 WST 2004

>Is there a way to boot an "image" direct from a file, loop-back style,
>rather than a partition or CD? I have this dream of a magic boot-loader
>which lists a pile of images (Debian Woody install, Debian Test install,
>MoviX, Knoppix), and can boot any one on select. Now imagine that on a
>bootable USB HDD? How hard would it to be to do this?
>
>The main technical "Gotcha" I can think of is that the images would
>probably need to be unfragmented on the disk. Perhaps a special partition
>format that is dedicated to sub-partitioned of other images?

I remember seeing a project once for installing iso's to "ram disks" for the
purpose of OS's inside of OS's and testing stuff... etc but I can't find
anything about it anymore...

Senectus

--
“I don’t think Bastard goes anywhere near to describing the unmitigated scum
sucking, bottom feeding toerag that is me. But hey – who knew shit could be