[plug] Recommended local mail access method

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 1 13:45:38 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 09:13, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> >
> > imaps great.
> >
> > best thing about it is you can read it at home or work, and even install
> > something like squirrelmail, and it'll all be there.
> > folders are a charm..
> >
> How do you transfer from my emails to my imap server?  I use Thunderbird
> as well.  I've got a heap of emails and folders do I just copy the
> directory to the mail directory or is there an option to import from
> squirrelmail which I've just missed?

I've written a Python script for use at that POST that can read an mbox
or a maildir and upload it to the mail server. It's smart enough to
write out any messages that failed to upload to a separate mbox file. It
tells you what it's doing and gives you details on each failed message.
It supports importing a list of mailboxes, and supports IMAP proxy-auth
(so you can log in as the admin but essentially "be" a user). It also
corrects a few common problems with messages, such as incorrect use of
just LF or just CR instead of CRLF.

The script is far from polished and not all that well tested yet, but
has worked well migrating users' mboxes to IMAP at work and on one other
site that used Maildir.

I'll be cleaning it up over the next few days, so I'll be happy to make
a copy available then if you like.

Suggestions on other common message malformations to fix (especially
ones Cyrus doesn't like) would be greatly appreciated.

--
Craig ringer