[plug] configuration RW

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Nov 3 14:08:22 WST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:05:44 +0800 David <davidatt at conceptual.net.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:13:22 +0800
> Harry <harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:33:13 +0800 David <davidatt at conceptual.net.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > hi all!
> > >
> > > i have got a samsung RW 52.32.52 i need help pls?
> > > to configuration it no my computer pls..
> > > it is a compact disc ReWritable Ultra Speed V 5.5
> >
> what is the best to do here ?
> i have a cable with it.. i will be useing first slave is next one to be
> use...

Hi David

Your hard disk will be faster if you install the CD burner on
a different cable.

Steps:

Power the system off. Unplug from the power. Lift the lid.

Check if you have a connector on the motherboard which is the same
type (size) as the one that your hard disk cable plugs into.

Plug your new cable (that you got with the CD burner) into this
second connector on the motherboard. Plug the other end of the
new cable into the CD burner.

Note:
The cable must be installed so pin 1 on the CD burner goes to pin 1
on the motherboard connector. Seek some help if this is not clear. Pin 1 is
usually indicated by a red stripe on the ribbon cable and this should match
the hard disk cable where it plugs into the motherboard. Pin 1 should be
embossed or printed on the CD burner case next to the connector.

Look at the jumper settings on the back of the CD burner and set it to be a
master. Seek help if this is not clear.

Replace the lid. Plug the power back in. Power up the system.

The only thing left is to make a symlink so the the CD burner can
at least be mounted as a CDROM.

Start an xterm and, at the prompt, enter:

$ su
Password: <your root password>
# rm  /dev/cdrom
# ln  -s  /dev/hdc  /dev/cdrom

I've put wide spaces so it is clear where the spaces are. There is
no space between the dash and the 's'.

You should now be able to pop in a CDROM, click on Files to start
the file manager and click on the CDROM icon. If a window opens
and shows you files on the CD you are up and running.

But if a window opens that says you can't mount the CDROM we are in trouble.
This means the /etc/fstab file is not correct and you will need help to
change this.

All the best
Harry

--