[plug] Autodns-DHCP script failing

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Nov 3 12:06:00 WST 2004

I am trying to use a autodns-dhcp script which updates the DNS and DHCP
files from dhcpd.leases so that all machines get the same IP every time
and the DNS works. As far as I can see I have set it all up following
instructions. I am using version 0.6 from Debian testing although it
seems to report that it is 0.5 when I run it. I know that the DNS server
works as I can lookup hostnames on my private LAN as well as reverse
lookups. I don't know if the updates work.
autodns-dhcp seems to run fine from the cron job and creates the
temporary files need to update the system.

$ ls /var/lib/autodns-dhcp/
dhcpd.conf.new  dhcpd.leases.last  nsupdate.data

They all contain the correct information. But /etc/dhcpd.conf and named
don't get updated.
Any ideas? I can't seem to find the problem my self so I am thinking
that I haven't looked in some obvious place or that someone else may
have had the same problem. I have noticed that bind doesn't like
stopping. see error message below.
Tim
#/etc/bind/named.conf.local (192.168.0.8 is the server running DNS,
dhcp, autodns-dhcp and white.lan is the domain name)
zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
          type master;
          file "/etc/bind/db.192.168.0";
          allow-update {192.168.0.8; 127.0.0.1;};
};
zone "white.lan" {
          type master;
          file "/etc/bind/db.white.lan";
          allow-update {192.168.0.8;127.0.0.1;};
};

#Stopping Bind

$ sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 stop
Stopping domain name service: namedrndc: connection to remote host closed
This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
or the key is invalid.
.
$
--

Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net