[plug] Installing New Modules in a running kernel

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Nov 3 15:58:46 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>In message <41888719.8090003 at tigris.org>
>on Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 03:22:01PM +0800, Timothy White wrote:
>

>>Not sure what the difference is. How can I tell what I am compiling
>>them as?
>>

>Just to clarify: what did you mean when you said "except when I tried
>to load the new module". I assumed you were building static modules and
>therefore needing to have to reboot with a new kernel each time.
>However, this may not be the case. Can you clarify what you do when you
>"try to load the new module", and what errors are observed or implied?

$sudo modconf
/kernel/sound/drivers
select snd-virmidi, "are you sure..." select yes
No optional parameters.
--- Error message below
Installing module snd-virmidi. If the device isn't there, or isn't
configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a
minute.

FATAL: Module snd_virmidi not found.

Installation failed.

Please press ENTER when you are ready to continue.
----
Tim

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net