[plug] [OT] Tech rant

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Nov 4 15:54:11 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 15:15, Simon Duff wrote:
>

>>actual superglue or thermal epoxy? o.O
>>

>I'm not sure. Does one of them have a secret way of making it relinquish
>its grip?

I put artic silver on the heatsink of my P4 and its pretty hard to get
the CPU and heatsink apart (it keeps the temp 4-5 degrees cooler than
the thermal contact on the heatsink by default though).  I actually let
the CPU run for a while to get it warm to soften up the thermal paste a
bit to get the heatsink off... but it still was hard.... I did it by
moving the heatsink sideways as to not rip the CPU out of the socket by
pulling it upwards.  Carefully of course..

If they did use something like artic silver thermal epoxy... good luck,
that stuff bonds exceptionally well.  I've used it before to stick a new
heatsink + fan onto a graphics card before, did not budge at all.. you'd
rip the GPU off of the card before you'd separate the heatsink from the GPU.

/ Ben