[plug] Alsa not compiled as modules (For the Archives)

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Nov 6 11:35:55 WST 2004

I have compiled alsa into the kernel rather than modules. The sound
cards present on my system are compiled in while the others are modules.
At boot time it detects the sound cards and assigns them IDs.
Unfortunately I had no sound.
After further investigation I discovered that it was because they were
not being loaded as modules I had no control of the order (I could
probably control in on the kernel line) which meant that all my
applications that pointed to sound card 0 now needed to point to sound
card 2 as 0 and 1 were MIDI only devices.
Just incase anybody else had/has the same problem.
Tim

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net