[plug] Apache Server Client User Aggreement

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Nov 7 19:46:06 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 19:27, Timothy White wrote:
> I would like to set up my Apache server so that it displays a
> 'conditions of use' message that the user most accept before using the
> server. Like /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net (for ssh)
> Is this possible and easy or should I write a PHP script of some sort?
> (e.g. Have it password protected and the PHP script hands out the
> password to those who agree to the conditions)

Sure, your PHP approach would work - the PHP script would accept input
from a static HTML form, validate it, and display the result.
Alternately, you could use a cookie to mark hosts that have accepted
(though users who reject cookies by default will be denied access until
they add an exception for your server).

I question the usefulness of doing this, though. It'd be highly
irritating, and I don't know if it'd hold any legal weight whatsoever.
The only person who _can_ tell you about the legal effectiveness or lack
thereof is a lawyer... and ones with a clue about tech tend to be more
than a tad expensive - especially if you are concerned about more than
visitors from .au .

--
Craig Ringer