[plug] VNC Shell Script

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 7 20:00:02 WST 2004

On 07/11/2004, at 7:27 PM, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <2741D621-30AF-11D9-8F16-000D936A747A at iinet.net.au>
> on Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 07:21:22PM +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:
>> My cron job is going fine, the vncserver is starting up fine. But if i
>> connect to the linux box with my vnc client, the client box doesn't
>> get a screen of the remote linux server.
>
> This is technically correct behaviour, so I won't bother explaining it,
> except to say that the solution to the problem is to change something.
> My first suggestion would be to change from:
>
> DISPLAY=:0 x0rfbserver

> x0rfbserver :0
>
> The only problem with this is that perhaps your password problem will
> re-emerge. Don't know what happens if you do
>
> DISPLAY=:0 x0rfbserver :0
>
> It probably shouldn't be correct in general, but might be good enough
> for your specific application.

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is not with the bash
script.
The script by it's self runs fine and the whole VNC thing I am trying
to setup
runs fine.

The problem begins when "Crond" is incorporated into the equation.
The problem is that if the cron job runs the script, as opposed to me
executing it by hand, the VNC connection that gets setup doesn't work.

The VNC server will indicate that there is a connection of a
disconnection.
But the X window is not forwarded to my client program.

I press connect, but all I get is the window disappearing and I can't
see a
remote screen on my client laptop (iBook G4 running: Chicken of the VNC)
for it's client vnc program.

The problem is not the remote client. I believe the problem has
something to do
with cron.

- Brock