[plug] VNC Shell Script

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Nov 7 20:09:42 WST 2004

Brock Woolf wrote:

>  However, if i execute the rfbserver.sh file by double-clicking on it.
> And then go to connect to the remote vnc server, the vnc connection
> works.
>
> Strange, any clues anyone?

Is cron sending you any e-mail with the output of the command?  (It'll
probably end up in /var/spool/mail/YOUR-USERNAME.)

If I had to guess, it would be that there is some environment variable
(perhaps XAUTHORITY?) that is being set differently depending on
whether x0rfbserver is started from within cron or from your normal X
session.

You can get a listing of the environment of a running process by

    cat /proc/PID/environ | awk 'BEGIN{RS="\000"}{print}'

where PID is the process ID of the process that you're interested in.
Could you post the output of running that command on the x0rfbserver
launched through cron, and also of the x0rfbserver launched from your
desktop?

Cameron.