[plug] Dynamic DNS updates through DHCP

J Michael Gilks mike at gilks1.com
Mon Nov 8 02:20:48 WST 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:33 pm, Timothy White wrote:
> Simon Duff wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm using dhcp to update local dns, and all works well, except for one
> > annoyance:
> >
> > I have a laptop here, which is used at someone's work, as part of a
> > domain, so has its own domainname. When it does dhcp, it seems to tell
> > the dhcp server its own domainname and then bind attempts to update the
> > records with this instead of my local domainname. So I end up with
> > reverse lookup entry for the wrong domain and no forward lookup entry.
> > dhcpd.conf follows.
> >
> > Not a huge problem, just annoying, any help appreciated :D
>
> I've got the same problem so if you solve it offlist please post the
> solution on list (I will do the same if I find a solution)
> Tim
A sample from Debian Woody sample dhcpd.conf file

# If a DHCP or BOOTP client is mobile and might be connected to a variety
# of networks, more than one fixed address for that host can be specified.
# Hosts can have fixed addresses on some networks, but receive dynamically
# allocated address on other subnets; in order to support this, a host
# declaration for that client must be given which does not have a fixed
# address.   If a client should get different parameters depending on
# what subnet it boots on, host declarations for each such network should
# be given.   Finally, if a domain name is given for a host's fixed address
# and that domain name evaluates to more than one address, the address
# corresponding to the network to which the client is attached, if any,
# will be assigned.
host confusia {
  hardware ethernet 02:03:04:05:06:07;
  fixed-address confusia-1.fugue.com, confusia-2.fugue.com;
  filename "vmunix.confusia";
  server-name "toccata.fugue.com";
}

host confusia {
  hardware ethernet 02:03:04:05:06:07;
  fixed-address confusia-3.fugue.com;
  filename "vmunix.confusia";
  server-name "snarg.fugue.com";
}

host confusia {
  hardware ethernet 02:03:04:05:06:07;
  filename "vmunix.confusia";
  server-name "bb.home.vix.com";
}

Just happened to be looking up dhcp as I saw the email.

Love
Mike