[plug] Firefox & Safari Double-Punch

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 8 23:04:57 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 21:43, Brock Woolf wrote:

> P.S. I realise that this is not a directly related Linux question and
> that there is the possiblity of me getting flamed, but the reason i am asking you
> guys is because most of the people on the Macintosh mailing list are monkeys
> that only know how to press the start button on their machine.

I feel the need to point out, with no small amount of amusement, that
quite a few folks are members of both the WAMUG and PLUG lists :-P

In general, it is best to prefix off topic posts with [OT], use the
offtopic list, or not post them at all.

Some trivial research research on this matter suggests that nothing is
wrong at all:
http://www.jimworld.com/apps/webmaster.forums/action::thread/thread::1057957229/forum::other-search-engines/

Does this problem ever affect "known good" websites that you know are
working? Have you even bothered to check if the same thing happens when
accessing the same site from another computer? Does the problem
intermittently affect the same website (eg 1/3 of requests work
correctly), or is it consistent for each site?

It sounds to me a lot like you're just running into a lot of domains
that've lapsed and been bought up by pond scum like this
'ultimatesearch' outfit. You didn't bother mentioning what any of the
domains were, so it's hard to tell.

It would seem reasonable for somebody who considers himself so superior
to the "monkeys" to be able to find his own answers, anyway, or at least
frame a half-decent question with clear explanations and sufficient
information.

(By the way, you'll probably be relieved to note that I've overcome the
temptation to CC this to the WAMUG list).

--
Craig Ringer