[plug] Here's one for the experts.....

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Tue Nov 9 09:13:48 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:15:34PM +0800, tcleary2 at csc.com.au wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how you can figure out which modules are compiled into a
>>kernel just by looking at the kernel image?
>

> If it's a 2.6 kernel and it has the /proc/config.gz entry enabled,
> you can run gz_extract[1] over it one or two times to locate the
> config file. Running it once will give you the uncompressed kernel
> image. Running it over that image will probably produce a few gz
> files (or things that look like gz files), and one of those will be
> the kernel config.
I believe (and from my tests I think I am right) that /proc/config.gz is
just the .config files used to compile the kernel, gziped. So ether a
'zless /proc/config.gz' or 'gzip -cd /proc/config.gz | less' or what
ever method you want to gunzip the file and read the contents, will give
you an identical file to the .config used to compile the kernel. As far
as I know it doesn't contain a kernel image.
Tim
--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net