[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Tue Nov 9 22:55:08 WST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:54, Brock Woolf wrote:

> You have it all wrong Skribe,
> It is an old myth that Apple's hardware it twice as expensive as
> Windows hardware.
> It used to be true say, 4 years ago but not today.
> And you can't compare a 1.2GHz Apple to a 1.2GHz Intel PC.
> My Apple iBook 1.2GHZ with 512 RAM preforms comparatively to
> a AMD 2.5GHZ desktop PC.
>
> But if you have never used an Apple, then it would be hard to judge for
> yourself.
> But don't take my word for it, check out the net.
> But please, do yourself a favour. Take a good, fair look at PPC because
> you may find
> that you don't like it, but don't get stuck on this "I only know this,
> and what I already know
> is better than what I don't know mentality".

I ran Mac for several years.  One reason I'm unlikely to move back is the high
entry costs (I can get a barebones ix86 system for $700 or less - including
monitor) and the poor upgradability of desktop systems.

Sure a $5000 G5 may compare favorably with a $5000 Dual-Xeon but I can't start
with a $700 system and upgrade it over 6 months to get to that level with a
Mac.  Just for income tax purposes alone Mac hardware is a disadvantage as I
can write-off every ix86 upgrade under $1000 as an expense (effectively
meaning a new computer EVERY YEAR) where as I'm forced to depreciate the Mac
over several years.   As a business owner that's a pretty big incentive to
avoid Mac.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

A boy gets to be a man when a man is needed.
		-- John Steinbeck

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/