[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Tue Nov 9 23:10:46 WST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:18, Michael Hunt wrote:

> Well it is not really 'a fat wad of cash'. One of the main reason's for
> going for an iBook was actually the issue of price. $1585 for a new
> iBook (education discount) was actually the cheapest notebook I could
> find. I'd expect to pay somewhere between $1700 to $2000 for a similar
> Intel notebook.

Always best to compare like with like.  How much for the ibook sans the
discount?

> * No Microsoft Tax or OS that I wasn't going to want/use.

I presume there was still an Apple tax.

> * A different OS and way of thinking to explore and play with. (Mac OS X
> and Apple that is).
> * A different hardware platform to play with. (I have worked with sparc
> and alpha in the past, but never a unix on PPC).
>
> And finally the big one ... (pure geek factor)
>
> Because I could !!!!

I think all the reasons you gave fall into the geek master of the universe
realm, Michael.  I was looking for a more practical reason that us
demi-mortals might find appealing.

Chris' comment that he felt that the hardware was less likely to break is
probably the best reason I've seen so far.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

Absence in love is like water upon fire; a little quickens, but much
extinguishes it.
		-- Hannah More

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/