[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 10 01:14:25 WST 2004

Brock Woolf wrote:

> Most of my x86 stuff has died, but the Apple just keeps on going.
> However if you are on barebones budgetary constraints, buy an x86 PC,
> provided you won't ever upgrade the hardware, because it is expensive
> on Intel when you add up your costs.

My experience is that I've had x86 crap and PPC Apple crap. I've also
had fantastic, reliable x86 hardware and fantastic, reliable Macintosh
hardware. The eMac seems pretty dodgy, for example, as will "cheapest
parts" PCs (especially if you get a cheap PSU). On the other hand, the
POST's G4s are dead reliable (as was our G3, since sold) and so are our
quality x86 servers and desktops.

To a fair extent it seems to depend on what range you buy from. A cheap
and nasty machine is a cheap and nasty machine no matter what
instruction set it happens to use.

--
Craig Ringer