[plug] SME PC hardware linux supplier?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Nov 10 11:52:39 WST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Senectus . wrote:

> Its not a distro I'm after, in fact its a pretty decent chance that
> the customer that wants it will wipe it and put their own distro on
> it. But they want is an INTEL pc vendor with a good name and longevity
> to supply linux supported PC's.

Methinks that the content of my signature quotation, is applicable here.

This is a bit different to what was asked in the message that was the
start of the thread.

If you go to www.mcgtech.com.au, and look at box systems, or complete
systems, you may find what you seek.

We have one of our computers that was bought from MCG, that has run RH
Linux (when RH supported their Linux), and Debian Linux, without any
problems.

It should be easy enough for you to go to a prospective supplier, with a
Knoppix CD (or, now, I believe, Mandrake has an equivalent CD, named
Mandrake Mobile or something similar), and easily find whether a
computer is sufficiently Linux compatible. You should be easily able to
buy a system without an OS. MCG supplies systems with or without an OS.

If your client is unlikely to want to retain a pre-installed Linux
distribution, then what is the point in having a pre-installed Linux
system? You may as well have OS/2 pre-installed, as it would appear to
be equally relevant.

And, all this discussion about Intel (or Intel compatible based systems)
being unreliable, or not durable, is a heap of rubbish. We have a Cyrix
system (P120+), with RH Linux 6. installed, that has been running okay
for years (okay, not continuously, but, I doubt that any computer in
Armadale, without its own independent electricity supply, would be able
to run for more than 6 months at a time, without having to be shut down
when the electricity supply fails). And, the only problem with my NEC
V22 powered PC XT, is that the stepper motor on the hard drive, failed
(not bad for the only problem in 16 years), so that, when I boot that
up, I have to kick start the HDD. But, how many of you have HDD's in
desktop computers (as opposed to larger computers, like PDP's), that
still run without any problems, after 16 years? Our mail server is a
Pentium 200MMX, our firewall/gateway is a Pentium (80586) based system,
and, the computer that I am using, is an AMD K6-2 300.

There are advantages to Mac's, and, there are disadvantages. They are
not relevant here.

But, what is relevant, and, in the area of computing, there is the basic
underlying principle, to which the quotation in my signature applies -
First, define the question. State clearly, exactly that for which you
want a solution. Otherwise, the answers and the solutions, like the
number 42, are equally meaningless, unless the right question is asked
in the first instance. That is what systems analysis is all about, and,
why software development needs formalised training, to overcome decades
of stuff-ups and resultant bad customer relations - because computing
people did not ask the right questions, and, were unable to clearly and
accurately define the problems that they were trying to solve.

So, I suggest that you restate your problem, to get it right, so that
you can get a meaningful and useful solution.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."