[plug] Pop3 mail and SMTP mail, plus mysql

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 10 18:05:26 WST 2004

Leon Blackwell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:17:32AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>If you're running woody, you'd be well advised to use the version of
>>postfix from backports.org .
>
> Would you care to elaborate on the major motivation(s) for that (aside
> from the fact that the version number is higher)?  Does it run any more
> efficiently or provide better performance when being smashed into tiny
> little pieces by distributed, brute-force spam attacks (spam sucks)?

Sarge etc carry 2.x, so if you're making a new install you may as well
start with 2.x and be comfortable that the upgrade will go as smoothly
as possible. That's really the main reason.

I don't know enough to say if it's worth upgrading an existing install,
but it would seem an odd choice to make a new install with an old
version when a more up-to-date version was availible from a reputable
source like backports.org.

In my particular case, postfix 2.x has a few extra checks and controls
I'm finding useful that are not in 1.x . Not a big deal, really, but handy.

As for performance - I really don't know. I haven't had any problems at
all, and the POST's mail system gets a lot of very, very large messages.
On the other hand, we don't actually transfer that many messages per
day, so I don't think we'd be putting any detectable stress on postfix -
especially not on the 1.5GHz Athlon it's running on.

--
Craig Ringer