[plug] Skype

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 12 20:58:05 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 20:43, garry wrote:
> Anyone here using Skype?
>
> Do you have to open any INcoming ports on the firewall? The
> http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html says to open OUTgoing
> ports, but says nothing about incoming...

To make calls, if you have a stateful connection tracking firewall, no
specific incoming configuration should be required.

> To receive a call, it'd be logical that at least one incoming port would
> need to be open..

That's right. To receive a call, not only will the port(s) have to be
open but you'll have to forward it/them to your internal host.

Here's an example that forwards a small range of ports (2345,2347,2348)
to an internal host (192.168.0.4):

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 2346:2348 \
    -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.4
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 2346:2348 -d 192.168.0.4 -j ACCEPT

I'm afraid I don't know what ports are required for Skype - I'm not
interested in using it when more compatible VoIP solutions are
available.

--
Craig Ringer