[plug] Changing refresh rate to something higher than 85Hz??

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Nov 14 08:49:33 WST 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:43:46 +0800 "Ari Finander" <outrider at operamail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm not having any luck getting a refresh rate higher than 85Hz.
[...]
> It pisses me off that something can be so easilly accomplished using
> windows but despite a couple of tools built into FC2 I can't get my
> refresh rate up where I'm comfortable using my monitor!

Steady there :)

> Do any of you have any tips or ideas on how to fix this problem?

Reading between the lines, it sounds like FC2 and XP are running on two
different machines. You have a KVM to swap between the two, yes ?

I suspect that installing FC2 on the hardware that XP is running on,
FC2 will also work at 100Hz.

I think you are seeing a limitition of your video card on the FC2
machine. When X starts, it uses the configuration file and your
modelines as a guide but it will drop down the list of available
resolutions and refresh rates in the file based on the video
memory and clock rates (respectively) available on the card.

Rather than use the optimum solution of replacing XP with FC2 ;-)
a least effort test would be to move the video card from the XP box
temporarily into the FC2 box, reconfigure, and test again.

No promises, but FC2 is new enough that it should be able to
get the same resolutions and refresh rates out of the card that
XP can.

If you are trying to make the KVM setup swap between machines
without the, black, click, and pop of screen rate changes, you
might consider buying an identical video card to upgrade the
FC2 machine.

HTH
Harry

--