[plug] File sync; users over WAN with disparate fileservers

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 14 10:10:34 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham.com.au> writes:

>On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 11:58:08PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> >Otherwise coda, or afs ?  Manual syncing using unison/rsync is really
>> >more for offline syncing and not for live systems.

>> The situation is similar for OpenAFS... though it does appear to
>> under current development with a bit more documentation available.

>I hope OpenAFS is not what the current vanilla kernel calls AFS.
>>From Documentation/afs.txt:

>"It does not yet support the following AFS features:
>     (*) Write support."

>That might pose a small problem, unless it's just the doco out of
>date.

That would be a problem if it is real.

Historically, both Coda and Intermezzo (aka intersync) have grown
out of the earlier AFS worth. OpenAFS is a branch development.
All three appear to be wuite similar in what they do; which is to
provide filesystem mirroring over a network.

One method in which I may be able to use them is to have the
relevant users' work directories, where the ERP system generates
files, symlinked on the main server to a filesystem corresponding to
each user's remote server. When a user moves from one site to
another, I can then move their files to the corresponding filesystem
on the main server.

The only down-side is that I have to create and maintain more
filesystems on the main server, balancing space requirements.