[plug] [OT] Changing refresh rate to something higher than 85Hz??

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 15 08:15:06 WST 2004

In message <200411142118.43198.sboak at westnet.com.au>
on Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:18:42PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> Probably just your phosphor is slower, i.e. it retains the picture
> for longer between screen refreshes...

I thought of that, but why would other CRTs have less retentive
phosphor? I.e. if you can get a steady image at 60Hz, why choose an
alternative design that flickers below 100Hz, presumably wastes more
energy in radiation, and presumably requires components with tighter
tolerances? I assume 60Hz is necessary for fidelity of 30fps video, but
I think it would be more uncomfortable for me to be scrolling text that
fast than to be having the lower refresh rate ;-)