[plug] Re: [OT] SQL column splitting

PEter Crystal draoidh at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 16 08:50:29 WST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:03:44AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <9rlm62xirh.ln2 at innovative.iinet.net.au>
> on Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:59:53PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > Ewww yuk.
>
> Yes! And aside from the problem of the data model, it appears the
> combination of splitting and transposition is not trivial (hence
> perhaps why my mind was void of direct solutions).

of course, if the data is presented in just columns of data
in a text file perl could handle it relatively easy.

even bringing it out of sql would be relatively easy.

Extract each column, and where necessary 'split' the final column
if it contains commas (split it anyhow, which would result in
one element in a list should there be no commas).

--
Peter Crystal   // darke at debian.org  et al
url:		 http://www.bur.st/~darke/   (Nimheil)