[plug] Athlon64 notebooks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 17 19:57:09 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> The profiles available with SuSE allow you to have pre-sets
> depending on where you plug in, etc. Select a profile at boot time
> (GRUB) and you're all set for the LAN insanity that may prevail at
> your usual locations; or tell it no LAN at all for when you're
> unplugged. Far nicer than waiting for DHCP to timeout during
> startup.

DHCP shouldn't need to time out on boot for normal "wired" ethernet.
Most NICs are supported by ethtool, so ifup can just check if there is
link on the interface. If there's no link, it's not worth even trying
DHCP so it's skipped.

ethtool won't work with wireless interfaces, so I suppose you do have
that problem still for them. My solution is to just ifup/ifdown the
wireless manually, but it'd be nice to have something a bit more
automatic - perhaps based on signal strength monitoring.

--
Craig Ringer