[plug] [OT] Interesting Computer Idea (for parents?)

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Nov 17 19:35:47 WST 2004

I had this idea that would be use full to parents. I know that you can
have a system set up to allow different access to different
programs/websites at different times (and login access at different times.)
What about a system that allowed or denied access to programs(or groups
of programs) depending on a password or 'access token' given by a person
of higher authority.

Imagine this.
Your son says that he is going on the computer to do homework, fine, you
walk in and he has Openoffice open and what looks like it could be a
science report is sitting there with the cursor blinking mid sentence.
But on a different Desktop he has a game open or is surfing the net.

The solution.
When your child logs in they can use any application from a certain
group (can change on a time basis, e.g. office suite and educational
programs during the week and anything over the weekend.) After login if
they can then ask to use games or the net and to 'unlock' them you have
to type in a password, or a once off 'token' that unlocks the
applications for a certain time frame, (could be until logoff or the end
of the day, not just a set amount of time) they could have multiple
groups unlocked as well so if you didn't mind them playing games and
surfing the net then easy.

The Problem. How can this be easily implemented?
Problems:
1) It has to work REGARDLESS of the method used to start the application
(X, Terminal, ...)
2) It forces users to use a defined set of programs, what if the game
they want isn't in the games group because it's obscure? ...
3) What happens if they are still running the program at the end of the
time? A grace period then a kill?
4) How do you stop them running other programs? ps the user and kill all
applications not in a defined list (works under windows)
5) Add more here

If people know of a system that achieves this already then PLEASE point
me to it, other wise please post your tips about implementing this.
Also, if you want to help implement this then once I have some direction
I will put it on SF and people can start help.
Thanks
Tim
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net