[plug] Named pipe. Solution to programming problem?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 19 09:47:03 WST 2004

James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> writes:
>In message <tjtv62xq1e.ln2 at shameless.plug.org.au>
>on Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:07:41AM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
>> James Devenish wrote:

>> > *However*, a named pipe is opened differently from a regular file,
>> Pardon? How?  Are you thinking of sockets?

>Hehe, my fault. Yes, named pipes are not a solution to Tim's problem.
>For some reason I substituted the name of a working solution with the
>name that had been provided. Argh, the power of suggestion!

>> > POSIX STREAMS ... allows a regular file to be backed by a programme.
>> isn't that what a named pipe does?

>Not in a way that satisfies all the requirements I infer from Tim. But
>maybe his requirements are simpler than I imagined.

Tim's looking for something that acts like an inetd, but listening
on a _file_.

It would be possible to create a (file) namespace that presents
listen-on ports as a filename and translates the connection to a
named-pipe paradigm. I have no idea if that's been done; but if it
has, then the OP's requirements will probably be met entirely by
that and (x)inetd.