[plug] Named pipe. Solution to programming problem?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Nov 20 13:47:56 WST 2004

In message <sks272xe9j.ln2 at shameless.plug.org.au>
on Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 12:09:31PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> How about "minimise and ignore" race conditions? He [didn't] say
> anything about the importance of such. [What's] the alternative?

Okay, fair enough. He has stated no requirement for good practice, nor
does he necessarily mind if users might be reporting intermittent hangs
or empty results. So, I had overanticipated his requirements. Regarding
the alternatives, I'm sure I mentioned STREAMS. In all-caps. It may be
overkill, but sounded like it would satisfy his criteria (and robustly
at that). I think Bernie mentioned a filesystem<->TCP stream mapping,
which sounds like it would be a neat "turnkey" solution. However, if
named pipes are the only option on stock Linux systems, I guess they
could be sufficient for a prototype-style solution.