[plug] Religous war pending

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Nov 24 22:11:00 WST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:52:28PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Time to bite the bullet.
> > Perl or Python?

"Python is executable psuedocode. Perl is executable line noise." ...

> Both? :-)

I second this, if you can hack it :)

As a long-time Perl lover, the only things I'd probably use it for
nowadays are quick hacks and CGI scripts (the CGI module is
fantastic, IMHO). CPAN is a handy resource. Though the lack of any
kind of enforced structure and the ability to write really long
statements followed by an "... if $something_unlikely;", can be
confuzzling and hard on the eyes.

Personally, I'd go Python for any other new project that was looking
to grow beyond a couple of pagefuls. Things are just a little more
intuitive, particularly important if you want people other than you
to develop and maintain it - it's not as easy to write bad Python
compared to bad Perl.

YMMV :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>