[plug] bad interpreter message in Bash

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 25 12:44:04 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 08:27, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200411250225.38008.mike.gilks at westnet.com.au>
> on Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 02:25:37AM +0800, J Michael Gilks wrote:
> > [oracle at angua mike]$ /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller
> > bash: /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
> > [oracle at angua mike]$ ls -la /mnt/cdrom
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1477 Oct 22 13:42 runInstaller*
>
> I imagine this indicates the CD's been mounted as a "noexec" filesystem.

If this is the case, you should probably either mount the CD-ROM
manually without the 'noexec' option or the contents somewhere else
before running them. It may be possible to simply run:

bash /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

since that way bash just treats the file as input - no execute
permissions required. This relies on that program not executing other
programs on the CD-ROM though, so it's probably not wise in this case.

--
Craig Ringer